Sunday, May 31, 2009

Memorial weekend and a few fun firsts

So we went to Austin for Memorial Day weekend to hang out with Keith's family for their Annual crawfish boil. We had a good time for the most part. We had SEVERAL firsts, a few that I would rather do without, but I'll explain in a bit. This was our first sand box experience. Nicholas has yet to play in a sand box and he was very reluctant to put his feet down as you see here. It was a 3 step process. Step 1. This is what we call wheels up. He doesn't want to be put down so he pulls his legs up. He did not want to be in the sand.
Step 2. Play in the sand from OUTSIDE the sand box
Step 3. Finally get in the sand box. He still didn't like the sand on his hands. Wanted it off. I can't decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing. For now I will go with good, CLEAN habits.

So Keith's brother Uncle Bub stopped by Saturday on a job. He drives a big rig tow truck. Supposedly this is the "small" one.


Once in a life time opportunity? Maybe, but what big truck experience is not complete without a chance to blow the horn? OMG he loved this after he got over the initial shock of it being a little loud.


Here the boys are together. Keith's brother brought the truck over to pull a tree stump out of Keith's mom's front yard. It was truly a "country" experience.
Yet another first, Sit and Spin. Keith has been begging to get Nicholas one of these and I kept saying no. Leave it to Nana to get one for him.....as I purse my lips a little in what I call the "Oh GREAT" face.



Drinking from the hose is a requirement in the summer.

Nick and his cousin Oryin riding in the wagon

Nick being silly in the wagon alone. I still don't know what he was doing. He curled up and tried to take a nap. If you will notice his left knee is bleeding. As I mentioned earlier there were several first that I would have rather done w/out. Well let me tell you....every joint in his body was scratched up from the weekend. Its one thing that I know I am going to have to deal with as he gets older but I just hate looking at him and seeing everything bleeding or scabbed over. And Keith's mom's house isn't exactly kid friendly if you know what I mean. We had SEVERAL close calls because he is into jumping and doesn't get that you can't do it anywhere. He jumped onto a pile of leaves that gave out beneath him and just barely missed the corner of the stone wall w/ his head. Luckily daddy was there and caught his arm. But the head trauma wasn't missed. I was sitting w/ him at a toddler sized picnic table and I guess he tried to get up and his leg got caught, well he fell backwards and hit the window in the house. Ofcourse he cried and I grabbed him for hugs, I didn't think much of it. It wasn't far from the ground, but everyone came running. and as I was holding him, blood started gushing. Yep, split his head open. There were a few people who were like, you need to rush him to the hospital. and Yes it did look nasty. and it was a good gash, but it stopped bleeding pretty quickly. Keith and I went back and forth, do we? don't we? Keith and I didn't really geek out, but a couple of people did who made us feel like maybe we were not reacting enough. Anyway we decided not to go. and just kept our eyes open for concussion signs. Before you knew it Nick was back out and playing. Ofcourse me or Keith were not far behind the rest of the weekend, we didn't need any more incidents.



So we spent the weekend as a family and just hung out by the pool. Let all the yard work and house work sit for another day. We had a rough weekend last, including bumper to bumper traffic from Austin all the way to Hillsboro and some other "issues" that I will leave unmentioned. Anyway we spent both Saturday and Sunday by the pool and it was SO awesome. I have a tan, and I think this is the first time I had tan lines in like 3 years. Words cannot describe how excited I am. Its sad really. So Nick as you all know LOVES the water and he was bouncing with excitement. And what pool side experience is not complete without your first popsicle? Well here we go. He was so excited about it a first, but he wouldn't hold it by the stick and he started getting upset that because it was so cold and he didn't want it anymore. Then after I showed him a couple of times how to hold it right, he was again excited and ate his popsicle with no issue. He even got upset when he was almost finished and it fell off the stick onto the concrete and he tried to "put it back on the stick" but it was already melted.


And one last picture. I don't know why it just tickles me that he loves to wear our shoes. And he does so well walking around wearing them.

2 comments:

Me said...

What great pics! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like (for the most part) you had a great weekend. "Sorry" I missed it.

Whitney said...

Love the "drinking out of the hose" picture!