Sunday, March 29, 2009

Escape Artist or Monkey


So a couple of weeks ago I noticed Nicholas was lifting his leg over the rail of his crib and didn't think much of it. He climbs all over everything and I figured that we should probably start looking at what we need to do when the time comes to move out of the crib, we probably have 3 or 4 months. WELL....YESTERDAY we had put him down for his afternoon nap and we were sitting down in the kitchen having some lunch and all of a sudden we hear the baby gate squeak and we both look at each other like what the heck and here comes that little boy walking around the corner like "here I am" and Keith and I just look at each other in shock and confusion about what exactly was happening. And this happened 3 more times that afternoon, some with grace and silence, and some with a giant plop followed by lots of crying. I don't know what to do. I don't know if he is ready for big bed yet, he's just so little still. Only 18 months. Then there are those crib tents, I just don't know about those. Keith suggested just throwing a mattress on the floor for him and closing his door. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I just don't think the crib is an option anymore and I don't want him falling while trying to get out and hurting himself. I think he did tweak his wrist on one escape. Do we just go get some bed rails. Would a mattress on the floor be disruptive if we ever put it on a box spring? I just don't know if bed rails will suffice. That boy rolls all over in his sleep. Help!! I wasn't prepared for this!

4 comments:

Me said...

We had problems with the crib with Brenden starting at 10 months. We opted for a twin bed with bed rails and firm instructions about when he could and could not get out of bed. This kept us from having to transition from crib to toddler bed to twin bed. With one mattress and no boxspring it was a low enough height for him to climb in and out of. Once we taught him the rules of when he could climb in and out it worked out pretty good.

Keith-Suzanne said...

OMG 10 months?!?! Yea I think we will skip the toddler bed too. We just threw a mattress on the floor and will try to bite the bullet until we can get the ground rules laid out.

Me said...

Yes, 10 months...only he wasn't climbing out....He shook his crib apart and I came in there to find that one of the long sides was leaning against the wall. He was a BIG OL' BABY! He was 37 lbs at 18 months and he was very strong...it was a safety thing but not for fear of him climbing out and landing on his head. :)

barry blog said...

Uncle Jack did the same thing. We opted for a guard rail on the twin bed. Actually Grandpa made a padded guard rail. I don't like the idea of a mattress on the floor. You could also do like I think your Mom said and keep the rail of the crib down. I don't think youth beds were available when U. Jack was little or else we couldn't afford one! From Grandma